Grinding / TMJ in Mobile, AL
What are TMJ diseases and disorders?
TMJ diseases and disorders are a group of conditions that cause pain in and around the jaw joint (called the Temporomandibular Joint or TMU) and nearby muscles and areas that these nerves connect.
Some of the causes of TMJ/Grinding, Clinching include:
- Improper bite, tooth, or jaw alignment (inherited)
- Clenching or grinding of teeth (stress)
- Missing back teeth, especially molars
- Yawning, or other exertions of the jaw
- Poor posture
- Head Injury
- Cervical traction involving the shoulders, neck, and jaw
- Compromised tongue position
Some of the bite, tooth, or jaw alignment problems that contribute to TMD are:
- Crowded teeth
- Narrow bite arch or arches
- Unlevel bite planes
- Gumline tooth erosion
- Bruxism (clenching of teeth)
- Tooth cusp fractures
- Porcelain crown fractures
- Overbite or underbite
Some of the symptoms or signs of TMJ may be surprising, but patients with a TMJ disorder may suffer from the following:
- Headaches (often misdiagnosed as migraines)
- Ringing ears (tinnitus)
- Congested or stuffy ears
- Pain in neck, shoulder, and back
- Clicking or popping of jaw joints
- Pain behind the eyes (sometimes affecting vision)
- Dizziness or balance issues
- Worn, chipped, or cracked teeth or fillings
- Reduced ability to open or close mouth
- Loose teeth
- Pain and sensitivity in teeth
- Abfracted areas (receding gums and notched teeth)
- Numbness in arms and fingers
- Uneven of uncomfortable bite
- Locking of the jaw joint, limiting its range of motion
How are TMJ Diseases and Disorders Treated?
According to the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research of the Nation Institutes of Health, TMJ treatments should be reversible whenever possible. That means that the treatment should not cause permanent changes to the jaw or teeth. An example is a removable orthotic or custom night guard treatment.
Removable Orthotic or Night Guard Treatment
A night guard alleviates the majority of TMJ pain. The night guard (or orthotic) can be worn only at night, however in some instances our patients receive so much relief they prefer to wear it during the daytime as well. This oral appliance can be fitted by simply taking impressions and having our lab create your custom fitting appliance.